AMMONIUM PERSULFATE –
(ammonium peroxydisulfate; peroxydisulfuric acid, diammonium salt)
- Colorless to light straw crystals or powder. Odorless.
- Strong oxidizer.
- Hazard classes: 5.1 oxidizer; 6.3 acute health hazard.
- CAS No.: 7727-54-0
- UN-NA No.: 1444
NFPA 704 Placarding Information:
- Health – 2
- Flammability – 0
- Reactivity – 1
- Special Notice – OX
- Oxidizer and bleaching agent.
- Used in photography; electroplating; preserving food; depolorizing batteries; and washing infected yeast.
- Etchant for printed circuit boards and copper.
- In the manufacture of other persulfates, deodorizing and bleaching oils, and aniline dyes.
Reactivity and Fire Risk:
- Normally stable when pure and dry.
- Hazardous polymerization cannot occur.
- Incompatible with: sodium peroxide; iron; solutions of ammonia and silver salts; powdered aluminum and water; zinc and ammonia; sodium oxide; and hydrogen.
- Explosion hazard when mixed with finely powdered organic material, metal powder, or reducing agents.
- Non-combustible. It is a strong oxidizer capable of igniting combustible materials.
- Heating or contact with water releases oxygen and may intensify existing fire.
- Causes irritation or burns to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract.
- Possible allergic reaction with tearing, difficulty breathing and life-threatening shock.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Normal conditions: Wear chemical safety glasses or goggles and any other protective clothing to prevent any possibility of exposure to skin.
- Fire conditions: Wear full protective clothing with full-faced, positive pressure SCBA.
Inspection and Storage Tips:
- Store in cool, dry area away from sources or heat or moisture.
- Must be stored away from incompatible materials as well as strong reducing agents and combustible materials.
- Avoid storage on wooden floors.
Article 80 Storage Information:
Class 2 oxidizer.
S occupancy exempt amounts allowed per control area:
Unprotected by sprinklers or approved storage cabinets: 250 pounds
In sprinkled building, not within approved storage cabinets: 500 pounds
In un-sprinkled building, within approved storage cabinets: 500 pounds
In sprinkled building, within approved storage cabinets: 1000 pounds
For storage of quantities exceeding the allowed exempt amounts for an S occupancy, the storage facility must conform to H-7 occupancy requirements as outlined in the Uniform Building Code.
Back to PCBs Fabrication Methods Guide